Adrian's Favorite Films of 2019

Adrian's Top Films of 2019

What a year. This was, in my opinion, the best year for movies in my few years of being an overly eager cinephile. Spent way too much on blu rays this year. Worth it, regardless. 

20. High Life

Image result for high life"

One of the oddest films I saw in 2019. Shot pretty like how Rob P. exists naturally. A great addition to the recent pull of interesting space themed films. If you are looking for something horny and unique I present to you this. 

19. Avengers: Endgame

Image result for avengers endgame"

I thought this was a great conclusion to the epic phase of this franchise. Cannot downplay how much of a great villain that Thanos is. Truly a great on screen characterization of an unstoppable force. Love overweight Thor as well. I cannot lie, "I love you 3000." got me. RIP Tony. 


18. The Souvenir

Image result for the souvenir movie

Okay yes, I can see why people find this boring and i cannot blame them for having that opinion. The reason this film made my list is because of how much I despised this relationship and just passionately wanted it to end. I find some power in that. Not sure why there will be a second part to this but i think im alright with it. Also this movie is just so damn pretty - I mean, look at that poster. 


17. Ready Or Not 

Image result for ready or not movie

This was such a fun theatre experience. Loved the premise, and the protagonist performance. Really glad there are movies made just to give the audience some bloody fun. 


16. Marriage Story

Image result for marriage story movie poster

Okay so, I do think this movie is really good. The writing is fantastic and the camera is personal. Another Baumbach gem. Thought Driver's performance was overhyped - he's been acting at this caliber for years now, and it's in a way insulting to his career. I also had a difficult time relating to this film because I have yet to be divorced - lol. Even both of our protagonists were in the entertainment industry, a common theme that I think distances audiences from on screen characters. I admire this film and while it is affecting in some ways, it misses in some big ways as well. 

15. US

Image result for us movie poster

Ah yes. This was so creepy. "The tethering." ugh. That phrase does not make me feel right. Also BIG snub on Lupita Nyong'o for a nom for best actress. Not a film I fully understand but really don't need to. Jordan Peele killed it with this writing and premise for the story. Realizing i need to rewatch this asap. 

14. I Lost My Body 

Image result for i lost my body poster

Animated picture of the year. This score is phenomenal and adds so much to the dream-like state of the film. It's short and sweet so please set aside time for this one. 

13. Midsommar 

Image result for midsommar poster

What a bold film. A horror movie completely shot in daylight and takes place in Sweden. Who wouldn't be interested? This was my introduction to Florence Pugh - very much disappointed that her role in Little Women has been garnering more attention around award season than this very demanding role in Midsommar. Ari Aster is going to be one of the greats in the perspective of the horror genre. Can't wait for what he does next. 

12. Apollo 11 

Image result for apollo 11 poster

This left me speechless. All original footage from that time?! How??? This needs to be shown in museums and preserved in THE archives. 

11. The Farewell 

Image result for the farewell poster

I can't say too much about this because most of what makes this movie special to me is the relatability it has in my life - maybe I should essay it? Really cool to see the contrast between American and Asian culture clash on film. 

10. Little Women 


Image result for little women poster hd













Good movie. Just a very wholesome and feel good watch. I've been told the costume design was lousy but hey, I don't know shit about that so it really didn't bother me. One of the best family friendly films of the decade. 



9. Joker

Image result for joker poster
















This is really good. I really don't understand the heavy criticisms. Joaquin knocks it out of the park and the title card alone commands praise. When he grabs the camera and says "that's life." oof. Also thought this had some pretty incredible cinematography going for it. 


8. Ad Astra 

Image result for ad astra

Brad Pitt with the snub of the year. What a commanding role. Look at that poster. Odd marketing scheme i think ruined expectations for some, but I loved it regardless. 

7. John Wick 3 

Image result for john wick 3 poster

Yeah, please keep making these. What a blast. Want these as a Criterion Collection Collectors set. Stunt work is once again incomparable to anything of this year. 

6. El Camino

 Image result for el camino a breaking bad movie poster

I thought this provided great closure to Pinkman's character. One of the most satisfying films I've seen this year. Vince Gilligan is a truly awesome filmmaker. 

5. The Irishman 

Image result for the irishman movie poster

Scorsese in his bag - as always. 

4. The Lighthouse 

Image result for the lighthouse movie poster
















Ah yes another amazing horror flick from Eggers. BEAUTIFUL cinematography. Great chemistry from Pattinson and Dafoe. Truly hilarious and disturbing.

3. Uncut Gems


Image result for uncut gems movie poster
















WOOO. What a chaotic film. The Safdie bros are among the best young directors working today. I mean this thing is just so damn wild. Sandler for best actor. 

2. Once Upon a Time... In Hollywood 

Image result for once upon a time in hollywood movie poster

This would be my favorite film of the year pretty much any other year than this one. I just love this thing. Tarantino at his most polished. Brad Pitt forever. 

1. Parasite

Image result for parasite movie poster
This thing is genius. A perfect film. This is truly one of the best films ever made. A Shakespearean level heavy hitter piece of writing. Just absolutely masterful. The best of the year. Honestly, maybe ever. 


Watchlist:  Honey Boy, The Mustang, The Last Black Man In San Francisco, Beach Bum, Knives Out, 1917

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Adrian's Favorite Films of 2021

'Enemy' Film Analysis

Adrian's Favorite Films of 2020